Monday, November 24, 2008

I want to be a Nurse



I was accepted into Nursing school in August 1956 at St. Michael's School of Nursing at Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.This lasted for three long years before I received my R.N. degree. I interned at the Calgary Crippled Childrens Hospital for 3 months & I worked at the Ponoka Mental Hospital for three months . I worked at St. Michael's Hospital for 2 years after I graduated. Then I got married to James Brian Gough. Then worked at the Lethbridge Municipal Hospital in Lethbridge, Alberta. Then I got a job at the Campbell Clinic working for a pediatrician .We moved to Medicine Hat and I worked Maternity Ward part time 3 days a week. I loved Labor and Delivery it was always exciting to help bring new spirits into the world.I usually worked over New Years Eve and helped deliver many new Years babies. One night we had to deliver twins, it was nearly midnight, one was born on one day and the other was born 5 minutes later on the next day. So they would have different birthdays.Then we moved to Raymond, Alberta. I worked in the Operating Room and Emergency at the 25 bed rural Hospital which I loved.Then we moved back to Lethbridge, Alberta. I worked at St. Michael's Hospital, then I did home care nursing taking care of the elderly I continued to do home care, then to Gilbert, Arizona. I cared for quadraplegic boy for 15 years. His name was Paul Thorp. Then may back gave in to arthritis of the spine and I was forced to retire from Nursing.

No comments: