Monday, November 24, 2008

Hitch Hiking

I met my first love while I was hitchin a ride with another nurse friend, to the city of Medicine Hat, Alberta to visit my girl friend Bev Sillito who lived there.It was the middle of February.It was a beautiful spring day. we got several short rides .Then along came this car with two cute guys.We climbed in even with 2 shotguns lying in the back window. It so happens Brian Gough a salesman was driving to Medicine Hat to deliver the guns to a Store there. I found out he was LDS. He made a date that night to take me dancing. He stood me up,never showed up.So we got a ride back to Lethbridge , Sunday night with my friend buddy and her. Well now the weather had turned bad, a big snow storm had hit. We ended up sliding off the road and getting stuck in the ditch near Coaldale, We pushed the car out eventually.I needed to be back in Nursing school before 6a.m. before prayers and roll call. I went to my Aunt Mary Redford's home until the Nurses Residence opened. I made it just in time for roll call. Later Brian Gough kept phoning me to go out with him.I refused.He was persistant, no girl had EVER refused to go out with HIM.Later I made a deal with him if he would go to church with me I would go out with him.That was a big jump for him. He had been inactive for years.So that how it all started.We dated six months .Waited till I graduated from Nursing. we got married September 5 1959. In Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

No comments: