Monday, November 24, 2008

Good Old School Days

I grew up in a small hamlet of Orton, Alberta, Canada. I went to the Orton School . It was a one room school house. Now a Historical place,well, I walked a mile to school every day. I walked through rain, sleet,and snow by myself .Often snow blizzards where I just followed the road and could hardly see where to go. I was only six and seven years old.I had to wear those ugly brown long stockings to keep me warm,had my warm knit hat, a long scarf which wrapped around my face to leave only my eyes peering through.The Orr kids had asmall shetland pony they rode together to school. I was envious of them and wished I had a pony to ride too.When I was in Grade three my brother Ron and I rode on the school bus to the nearest town of Fort Macleod to te big public school. We spent five years there ,then went to the new high school there too until I graduated. There were 12 others who graduated in my class.After I graduated I found a job at the Java shop /Bus depot.I was the cashier and waitress.What was great was I stayed at my Aunt Mary Dickies {my dad's sister}home she had 3 older girls that I roomed with , now I had some girls to talk to.That was a fun summer.

No comments: