Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Solar Cooking in Arizona

It has been very hot and dry here in Arizona. We are waiting for the Monsoon rains to come. The Temperature ranges from 100 to 114 this week. So I decided to use the sun to cook with instead of heating up my house or using any electricity. A ten pound turkey barely fit into my Sun oven. I preheated the oven for two hours, then it roasted for seven hours. By five p.m. it was falling off the bones, as you can see in the photo. Anyway it was delicious.But I missed the smells of a turkey cooking in the oven in the house. This the turkey baked in my solar oven
I decide to make Homemade whole wheat bread today in my sun oven. It didn't rise very much and so was very heavy.It baked an hour.I guess I had the water too hot for the yeast, so it killed the yeast so it didn't rise.My husband says I wish you would learn to make it correctly.You waste so many ingredients when it fails.I tell him I am still learning. The is my failure for today.

3 comments:

POP POP said...

Love your cooking! They both look so yummy.

Jay

Frank and Julie said...

The turkey looked heavenly. It makes my mouth water. I love, love turkey. But my weakness is eating the skin which is so bad for you.
Did your bread taste hard as a rock? It doesn't look too bad.

Cold Calling Guru Jeff Stevenson said...

follow us on twitter? @GoodPayLowRates

#solar #gourmet (?) #lunch Chicken Caesar Salad: 280 calories ~ $1.25/serving. Next time maybe some video. http://tinyurl.com/solarlunch